Koraput: Three patients suffering from anthrax in Laxmipur area have been admitted to the district headquarters hospital here, additional district medical officer Dr Kaliprasad Behera Wednesday said.
The patients were brought to the hospital late Tuesday night, he added.
According to reports, Jeruku Miniaka, Salem Miniaka and Surendra Hikka of Kotinga village had been undergoing treatment at Laxmipur community health centre for the last few days. However, they were referred to the DHH for advanced treatment. There is sign of significant improvement in their condition, a doctor treating the patients said Thursday.
The three including a couple had consumed beef about three months back. After a few days, the symptoms of anthrax (deep wounds in hands and faces) were detected in them.
Earlier, three persons of the same village had died from anthrax, claimed the residents. However, chief district medical officer Dr Lalita Kumar Rath said they died of other reasons.
Meanwhile, a medical team visited the village and generated awareness on the disease. The team distributed medicines among villagers and disinfected the surroundings with phenyl and bleaching powder.
The livestock of the village were also immunised by the veterinary officials.