Khurda: Even after a week the cops are clueless about the whereabouts of a missing 14-year-old boy. The minor, Subasis Panigrahi of Kantabada under Begunia police limits, had gone missing February 5. Family members of the minor have further alleged that the boy has been kidnapped, but the police have not registered the matter as that of a kidnapping. They have only registered a missing person report.
Expressing dismay over snail-paced police in the case, the minor’s parents have alleged that police lacks interest in finding their son and as the cops seem to have relieved themselves just by registering a missing plaint.
Sources said resentment is brewing among the locals over the apathy of police in probing the case, which might take an ugly turn.
According to reports, Subasis had gone to a nearby salon at around 10am February 5, but he did not return home that day. His parents and other family members searched for him frantically, but Subasis remained untraceable. Based on a plaint lodged by his family members Begunia police registered a case 3/18 and launched a probe.
Later Subasis kin’s found that he was kidnapped due to past enmity and informed the police. The police, however, allegedly did not entertain the allegations and drove them back stating that a probe is underway to trace the missing minor.
Condemning police inaction Kantabada residents also blocked the Bolangir-Khurda National Highway 57 February 8 to draw attention of higher officials demanding immediate action to rescue the missing boy.
However it is alleged that an assistant sub-inspector verbally abused the agitators and also made some casteist remarks instead of assuring them of action. The inappropriate remarks by the ASI sparked the agitators, said sources.
The agitation was called off only after Begunia inspector-in-charge intervened and assured to trace the boy within two days. Since then three days have passed but police hardly did anything to find the missing minor boy, alleged locals.