Kendrapara: A couple from Belapala under Rajnagar police station died January 3 in Bangalore in a cooking gas cylinder burst. Their two daughters sustained critical burn injuries in the explosion.
According to sources, the 32-year-old Ajambar Sahani was working as a plumber in Bangalore and staying in a rented house with his 27-year-old wife Pratima and two girls in Nagesahalli area.
In the wee hours of January 3, Pratima woke up and went to kitchen to boil water and switched on the light. As the gas cylinder, kept in the kitchen, might have been leaking, it burst into flames. She along with her husband and two little girls sustained critical burn injuries. The fellow Odia plumbers, who were staying near their house, came to their rescue by breaking open the doors and admitted the four family members at Bangalore-based Victoria Hospital.
While Ajambar Sahani and Pratima succumbed to their injuries at the hospital, their daughters Smitarani (5) and Sonali (3) have been undergoing treatment at the said hospital with the help of fellow Odia plumbers. The condition of Smitarani is said to be critical.
Meanwhile, Haladhar Sahani, the father of the deceased Ajambar Sahani, and a fellow villager Banamali Pradhan, went to Bangalore on receipt of information.