Bolangir: A farmer, who had consumed pesticide Thursday, died while undergoing treatment at Bolangir Medical College and Hospital Friday.
Bhagat Sagaria, 45, of Kuliahdarha village under Turekela block was under severe distress after he suffered crop loss due to scanty rainfall. He had gone to his agricultural land Thursday morning and consumed pesticide there. His son, Satya Narayan, who followed him, found him lying unconscious.
He had been rushed to Kantabanji hospital and then shifted to Bolangir Medical College and Hospital as his condition deteriorated.
He was later referred to VIMSAR, Burla, but died on the way.
Family members said Bhagat had cultivated paddy on two to three acres of land and cotton on five acres of land by borrowing from various sources. He had suffered loss in both cultivations due to scanty rainfall. The burden of repayment pushed him to take the extreme step, they alleged.
The University Grants Commission (UGC) recently issued an advisory to all universities operating under it to celebrate September 29 as...Read more