Deogarh:In a tragic incident, a woman was charred to death following a fire breakout due leakage from an LPG cylinder while her husband has been left battling for life Tuesday evening.
Reportedly, the couple had taken a new gas cylinder connection recently.
The incident was reported from Sulia village under Tileibani block in this district. The deceased was identified as Pratima Pradhan, wife of the injured Sarat Pradhan.
According to sources, Pratima, who had sustained 80% to 90% burn injuries, died minutes after neighbours rescued her and rushed to Deogarh DHH where doctors declared her brought dead. Meanwhile, her husband Sarat was rushed to Deogarh district headquarters hospital (DHH) in a critical condition.
After preliminary treatment, he was shifted to Burla-based VSS Institute of Medical Sciences and Research (VIMSAR) where his condition is stated to be critical.
Locals said the fire broke out when Pratima tried to light the stove to make snacks in the evening. The entire kitchen turned into a fireball due to the leakage in the LPG cylinder.
Before she could understand anything, her clothes caught fire while she was trying to turn off the stove. Hearing her screams, Sarat rushed to the kitchen and saw her ablaze. In bid to save her, he also sustained critical burn injuries.
According to sources, Sarat Pardhan was the Naib Sarpanch of Chhepalipali village. The couple was popular among the residents for their simplicity. The incident has left the entire village in a state of shock.
The incident spread outrage as locals blamed the gas agency for supplying defective cylinders in the area, which led to the mishap and demanded arrest of the ‘guilty’.
Meanwhile, women in the locality are scared of cooking on gas stoves and were seen keeping cylinders out of the kitchen after the tragedy.
It may be mentioned here that another family including a couple and their two minor daughters were killed in a fire from gas leakage in Rourkela August, last year.