Arese, Italy: Formula Two champion Charles Leclerc will move up to Formula One (F1) with Alfa Romeo-backed Sauber next season while Swede Marcus Ericcson will stay in the line-up despite failing to score a point in 2017.
The announcement was made by Fiat Chrysler (FCA) chief executive Sergio Marchionne here Saturday at a presentation of Alfa Romeo’s new partnership with the Swiss team at the Italian marquee’s museum near Milan. That deal, marking the return of the historic Alfa Romeo name to F1 after a more than 30-year absence, was announced earlier in the week.
The line-up leaves Pascal Wehrlein, Ericsson’s German teammate, facing an uncertain future with former champions Williams the only remaining team with a vacancy but Poland’s Robert Kubica favourite to fill it.
Ferrari-backed Leclerc, 20 and from Monaco, had been expected to get the Sauber drive after a dominant season in the official feeder series. Ericsson’s future had been in doubt, with Ferrari-backed Italian Antonio Giovinazzi also a candidate under the new partnership. Giovinazzi will be the reserve driver instead, taking part in Friday practice sessions.
Marchionne, who is also chairman of Sauber’s engine suppliers Ferrari, has made the title sponsorship of Sauber part of his reshaping of the FCA-owned Alfa Romeo brand. He added that the partnership would also strengthen his hand in talks with Formula One about the sport’s future and warned that the deal could end in 2021 if Ferrari decided to walk away as they have threatened.
1,388 total views, 3 views today
New Delhi: Assembly elections in Tripura will be held February 18 while two other northeastern states of Meghalaya and Nagaland will go to polls February 27, the Election Commission announced Thursday. Chief Election Commissioner AK Joti said the counting in … Continue reading
8,435 total views, 2,447 views today
Jagatsinghpur: A local court sentenced two persons to 20 years of imprisonment after convicting them of gangrape of a minor disabled girl under Naugaon police limits in Jagatsinghpur district in 2015, a report said.The additional district -cum-special judge, Bhagaban Pradhan, … Continue reading
9,172 total views, 2,438 views today
Keonjhar: The Joint Action Committee (JAC), a forum of several local outfits in Keonjhar, expressed serious doubts over execution of the ambitious government medical college project in the district. They pointed out that the project seems impossible without a gazette … Continue reading
9,454 total views, 2,482 views today
Berhampur: A major fire broke out at Geta Muslim slum near Biju Patnaik Park in Berhampur Thursday, leaving 33 families homeless. Nearly 56 houses perished in the fire while properties worth `21 lakh were gutted. The fire started from a … Continue reading
9,325 total views, 2,437 views today