Since ancient times, honey has been used as both a food and a medicine. It offers several health benefits and is particularly healthy when used instead of refined sugar.
Here are the top 10 health benefits of honey.
- Nutrients: Honey is a sweet, thick liquid made by honeybees. Nutritionally, 1 tablespoon of honey (21 grams) contains 64 calories and 17 grams of sugar, including fructose, glucose, maltose and sucrose. It contains virtually no fiber, fat or protein.
It also contains several vitamins and minerals, but you would have to eat many pounds to fulfill your daily requirements.
- Honey Is Rich in Antioxidants: High-quality honey contains many important antioxidants. It helps in reducing risk of heart attacks, strokes and some types of cancer. They may also promote eye health.
- It helps Lower Blood Pressure: Blood pressure is an important risk factor for heart disease, and honey may help lower it.
- Honey Also Helps Improve Cholesterol: Cholesterol plays a major role in atherosclerosis, the fatty buildup in your arteries that can lead to heart attacks and strokes. Interestingly, several studies show that honey may improve your cholesterol levels.
- Honey Promotes Burn and Wound Healing: Topical honey treatment has been used to heal wounds and burns since ancient Egypt and is still common today. Honey is also an effective treatment for diabetic foot ulcers, which are serious complications that can lead to amputation.
- Honey Can Help Suppress Coughs in Children: Coughing in children with upper respiratory infections affects sleep and quality of life for both children and parents.