Bhubaneswar: A youth was electrocuted to death after coming in contact with electric wires used for decoration of a railway over bridge (ROB) at Pokhuriput in the city just hours after Chief Minister Naveen Patanik had opened it for public, police said Friday.
The deceased was identified as Simachal Panda, a native of Ganjam district and staying at Sunderpada area here.
He came in contact with live wire while removing balloons on the electric poles used for decorating the bridge, police said.
Panda was immediately taken to the Capital Hospital here, but doctors declared him brought dead.
The 653 meter ROB was constructed at a cost of Rs 32.55 crore and was opened to public by the chief minister Thursday night.
Patnaik expressed grief over the incident and announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh for the next of the kin of the deceased.
Meanwhile, Opposition Congress and BJP criticised the state government over the incident.
Congresss Bhubaneswar unit president Manas Choudhery blamed the Works Department for the mishap.
BJP leader Manmohan Samal demanded Rs 25 lakh as ex-gratia for the family of the deceased.