Odisha News, Odisha Latest news, Odisha Daily - OrissaPOST
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
No Result
View All Result
OrissaPOST - Odisha Latest news, English Daily -
No Result
View All Result

South Korean president backs US alliance after Trump orders cut in joint military drills

AP
Updated: August 18th, 2026, 13:22 IST
in International
0
Donald Trump

Pic-X/@EricLDaugh

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare on Linkedin

Seoul: South Korea’s president said Tuesday a solid alliance with the US strengthens the foundation of national security, as many South Koreans were baffled and concerned about US President Donald Trump’s abrupt order to substantially reduce joint military exercises.

Trump made the surprise announcement in a social media post just before US and South Korean soldiers began Monday’s annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, which are largely designed to sharpen readiness against North Korean threats.

Also Read

Donald Trump

Trump urges Iran to raise ‘white flag’

17 hours ago

Supreme Court rejects Trump bid to overturn $5m Carroll verdict

17 hours ago

Trump cited what he said was good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea’s refusal to join the US war against Iran.

Trump’s move was apparently taken without consultations with South Korea and meant to reach out to Kim, deepening concerns about the reliability of the US-South Korean alliance forged in the turmoil of the 1950-53 Korean War.

Confidence in the US has already eroded among many South Koreans because of Trump’s tariff war and last year’s immigration raid in the US state of Georgia that led to the detainment of hundreds of South Korean workers.

Trump’s announcement reveals the stark reality of a faltering Korea-US alliance, fuelling public anxiety, South Korea’s Hankook Ilbo newspaper said in an editorial Tuesday.

It’s absurd that the US appears to treat North Korea more respectfully than its ally South Korea.

In a regular Cabinet meeting, South Korean President Lee Jae Myung stressed the importance of a firm military alliance with the US, saying that national security will be further strengthened when the alliance is solid.

When we build up our strengths, our value and importance as an ally will further grow, said Lee, a liberal who has called for a stronger, self-reliant defence posture.

It was unclear which parts of the 11-day South Korea-US exercises were being downsized. The South Korean and US militaries earlier said their drills this year would be similar in scale to previous years and incorporate lessons from recent conflicts such as North Korea’s battlefield experiences in the Russia-Ukraine front. They also said the drills are defensive in nature.

North Korea’s Foreign Ministry accused South Korea and the US of plotting more provocative drills this year and vowed to respond with a new level of deterrence.

Kim has shunned any talks with the US and South Korea since his earlier high-profile diplomacy with Trump fell apart in 2019.

Experts say Kim won’t likely embrace Trump’s overture and return to talks anytime soon unless he is promised bigger US concessions. Kim has boosted his military and diplomatic credentials in recent years by enlarging his nuclear arsenal and aligning with Russia over its war against Ukraine.

Lee’s presidential office Monday expressed hopes that a friendly relationship between Trump and Kim would lead to meaningful dialogue between their countries to promote peace on the Korean Peninsula.

That invited a backlash from the conservative opposition, which criticised Lee’s government for allegedly prioritising resumption of Kim-Trump diplomacy over security concerns.

South Korea’s security bulwark is being shaken to its very foundations, Park Chung-kwon, a spokesperson for the main conservative opposition People Power Party, said in a statement.

A weakening of the US defence commitment could shake South Korea’s national security as it has no nuclear weapons and is under the so-called US nuclear umbrella protection, which guarantees a devastating American response in the event of an attack on its ally by nuclear-armed North Korea.

The US has about 28,500 troops in South Korea.

In his social media post, Trump said the military exercises with South Korea are not only costly but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile to North Korea, which he said has been unthreatening and respectful during his time in the White House.

Trump said he asked Lee if South Korea would join the US in the denuclearisation of Iran, and they said, No thanks!’

Lee’s office said South Korea and the US are closely discussing practical and military contributions that South Korea can make to help restore freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz.

Trump thinks of an alliance as an investment that should pay regular dividends, or a rainy-day fund he can withdraw from when another project isn’t going well, said Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Ewha University in Seoul.

South Korean leaders understand that relations with the Trump administration will be a constant renegotiation linking economic and security issues. Seoul is thus cautiously responding to recent developments within that framework, Easley said.

A recent survey jointly conducted by South Korea’s JoongAng Ilbo newspaper and the East Asia Institute, a Seoul-based research group, showed 46.4 per cent of respondents in South Korea viewed the US as not a trustworthy partner while 45.4 per cent called it trustworthy.

It was the first time that more Koreans said they could not trust the US than said they could since the East Asia Institute began asking the question in 2017, JoongAng Ilbo reported.

Orissa POST – Odisha’s No.1 English Daily
Tags: Donald TrumpSouth KoreaStrait of HormuzUS alliance
ShareTweetSendShare
Suggest A Correction

Enter your email to get our daily news in your inbox.

 

OrissaPOST epaper Sunday POST OrissaPOST epaper

Click Here: Plastic Free Odisha

#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sibarama Khotei

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Amritansh Mishra

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Diptiranjan Biswal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adrita Bhattacharya

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratik Kumar

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Keshab Chandra Rout

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Vandana Singh

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pitabas Tripathy

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Priyasha Pradhan

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Narendra Kumar

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Lopali Pattnaik

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sitakanta Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Matrumangal Jena

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sarmistha Nayak

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Jyotshna Mayee Pattnaik

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratik Kumar Ghibela

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Surya Sidhant Rath

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Priyabrata Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Spinoj Pattnaik

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anshuman Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anup Mahapatra

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Subhajyoti Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Smitarani Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Tapaswini Mallick

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Chinmay Kumar Routray

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anasuya Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Rajashree Manasa Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Tabish Maaz

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Shreyanshu Bal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Praptimayee Biswal

December 12, 2019

Archives

Editorial

Bar & Bench

August 18, 2026

It is a happy augury for Indian democracy that the country's young talents aspiring to join the legal profession have...

Read moreDetails

Thinking Naxals

Thinking Naxals
August 17, 2026

In any democracy, the most disturbing threat to freedom is not always censorship. Sometimes it is the language used to...

Read moreDetails

Succession Gap

August 15, 2026

By Dilip Cherian India’s bureaucracy may be running short of one thing more important than babus: succession. The Centre’s decision...

Read moreDetails

Race for Right

August 12, 2026

A colossal tragedy on a sea has given fillip to ultra-right politics in Italy, Germany and the UK. The three...

Read moreDetails
  • Home
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs
Developed By Ratna Technology

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

  • News in Odia
  • Orissa POST Epaper
  • Video
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Metro
  • State
  • Odisha Special
  • National
  • International
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Entertainment
  • Horoscope
  • Careers
  • Feature
  • Today’s Pic
  • Opinion
  • Sci-Tech
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

    • News in Odia
    • Orissa POST Epaper
    • Video
    • Home
    • Trending
    • Metro
    • State
    • Odisha Special
    • National
    • International
    • Sports
    • Business
    • Editorial
    • Entertainment
    • Horoscope
    • Careers
    • Feature
    • Today’s Pic
    • Opinion
    • Sci-Tech
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Jobs

    © 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST