OPF relaunches textbook protest

OP Pic

Bhubaneswar: The Odisha Parents’ Federation (OPF) Monday relaunched its Education Satyagraha at Lower PMG, demanding the withdrawal of error-ridden textbooks, extension of free education under the Right to Education (RTE) Act up to Class XII, and inclusion of professional courses under the state’s KG-to-PG free education scheme.

Federation president Basudev Bhatt is leading the protest. Executive president Prasanna Bishoyi said the Satyagraha would continue until the allegedly faulty textbooks are withdrawn. Several political leaders, social organisations, intellectuals, educationists, parents and students extended support to the agitation.

Among those who joined or expressed solidarity were environmentalist Prafulla Samantaray, former minister Arun Sahoo, former Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik, BJD leader Manmath Routray, former CPI MLA Narayan Reddy, NHRC core member Manoj Jena, RTI activist Pradeep Pradhan, Aam Aadmi Party state convener Nishikant Mohapatra, and others.

Bhatt and BJD leader Routray have also reportedly begun an indefinite hunger strike in support of the demands. The Federation alleged that the large number of errors in the newly introduced textbooks was an insensitive and highly irresponsible development that had brought disrepute to Odisha’s education system.

It described the issue as a “dark chapter” in the history of education in the state and demanded immediate withdrawal of the books. The organisation questioned why the textbooks had not yet been withdrawn despite the Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi having earlier directed that they be recalled. It said the Federation had previously staged an indefinite hunger strike for two days to safeguard students’ future, but suspended the agitation following an appeal from the administration in view of the President’s visit to Odisha.

Since the textbooks have still not been withdrawn, the Federation said it had been compelled to resume its agitation in the form of an Education Satyagraha. The Federation urged the government to withdraw the error-ridden books immediately and allow students to continue with the old textbooks for the current academic year.

It suggested that corrected textbooks could be introduced from the next academic session.

Orissa POST – Odisha’s No.1 English Daily
Exit mobile version