Odisha News, Odisha Latest news, Odisha Daily - OrissaPOST
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
No Result
View All Result
OrissaPOST - Odisha Latest news, English Daily -
No Result
View All Result

Syrian govt agrees to Russian-backed ceasefire, air strikes stop in Idlib

AFP
Updated: August 31st, 2019, 15:11 IST
in International
0
Artillery and rocket attacks continued however despite the deal.

Artillery and rocket attacks continued however despite the deal.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare on Linkedin

Beirut: Air strikes on Syria’s northwestern Idlib region stopped Saturday, a war monitor said, after the government agreed to a Russian-backed ceasefire following four months of deadly bombardment.

“There are no warplanes in the sky and air strikes have stopped” said Rami Abdul Rahman, the head of the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Also Read

PM Modi lands in Norway; to hold talks on trade, tech

3 hours ago
Earthquake

More than 7,000 residents evacuated after earthquake in south China

4 hours ago

Clashes between regime loyalists and insurgents on the edges of the anti-government bastion have also ceased after a unilateral ceasefire by Syrian regime forces went into effect at 6:00 am (0300 GMT), he said.

Artillery and rocket attacks continued however despite the deal, he added.

Syrian regime ally Russia Friday announced that Damascus government forces would observe a new ceasefire from Saturday morning in Idlib.

It said the truce aimed ‘to stabilise the situation’ in Idlib, one of the last holdout of opposition to forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

The Syrian government agreed to the deal, state news agency SANA said.

But the army ‘reserves the right to respond to violations’ by jihadists and allied rebel groups, it added, citing a Syrian military source.

The truce is the latest Russian-led effort to avert what the United Nations has described as one of the worst humanitarian “nightmares” in Syria’s eight-year conflict.

Only a few hours before it went into effect, the Observatory reported a Russian air strike on a health facility in Aleppo’s western countryside.

It said the attack after midnight wounded several health workers and put the medical centre out of service.

The UN has said that 43 health facilities and 87 educational facilities, have been impacted by fighting since April.

The Idlib region is home to some three million people.

Most of the province and parts of neighbouring Aleppo and Latakia provinces are controlled by Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, a jihadist group led by Syria’s former Al-Qaeda affiliate.

Russia-backed regime forces have been pressing an offensive against the region despite a deal with rebel backer Turkey in September last year to protect the area.

Stepped up bombardment by Damascus and Moscow since the end of April has displaced 400,000, the UN says, and killed more than 950 civilians, according to the Observatory.

The flare-up has emptied entire towns and villages in northern Hama and southern Idlib of their residents, according to the UN.

Almost half of the displaced are living in camps, reception centres or in the open air, it added.

Earlier this month, Damascus scrapped a similar truce agreement only three days after it went into effect, accusing rebels and jihadists of targeting a Russian air base.

Assad, who now controls around 60 percent of the country, has vowed to reclaim the rest, including Idlib.

The Syrian conflict has killed more than 370,000 people and driven millions from their homes since it started with the brutal repression of anti-government protests in 2011.

AFP

Tags: air strikeIdlibRussiaSyriaUnited Nations
ShareTweetSendShare
Suggest A Correction

Enter your email to get our daily news in your inbox.

 

OrissaPOST epaper Sunday POST OrissaPOST epaper

Click Here: Plastic Free Odisha

#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adyasha Priyadarsani Sendha

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratik Kumar

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Geetanjali Patro

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Jyotshna Mayee Pattnaik

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Jhili Jena

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Faiza Firdous

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Aman Kumar Barisal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Rajashree Manasa Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sisirkumar Maharana

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Tapaswini Mallick

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Bijswajit Pradhan

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Akriti Negi

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pragyan Priyambada

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Saishree Satyarupa

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sarfraz Ahmad

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Matrumangal Jena

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Diptiranjan Biswal

December 12, 2019
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Dibya Ranjan Das

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adweeti Bhattacharya

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratyasharani Ghibela

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Surya Sidhant Rath

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Kamana Singh

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Tabish Maaz

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Subhajyoti Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sipra Mishra

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Smitarani Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anshuman Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Chinmay Kumar Routray

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anasuya Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Shreyanshu Bal

December 12, 2019

Archives

Editorial

Negatively Positive

N Chandrababu Naidu
May 18, 2026

Over the decades, since Independence, India’s southern states have achieved great success in population control with their governments aggressively promoting...

Read moreDetails

Exclusion Drive

Aakar Patel
May 17, 2026

By Aakar Patel Nowadays for a homeless person to fulfi ll the requirement of a place of residence, ‘The BLO...

Read moreDetails

Rise of Technocrats

May 16, 2026

By Dilip Cherian India’s latest babu reshuffle story is not really about transfers or appointments. It is about a deeper...

Read moreDetails

Xi-Trump Tete-a-Tete

Pic- AP
May 13, 2026

Finally, the much-awaited meeting between US President Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping is taking place. Trump’s three-day...

Read moreDetails
  • Home
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs
Developed By Ratna Technology

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

  • News in Odia
  • Orissa POST Epaper
  • Video
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Metro
  • State
  • Odisha Special
  • National
  • International
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Entertainment
  • Horoscope
  • Careers
  • Feature
  • Today’s Pic
  • Opinion
  • Sci-Tech
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

    • News in Odia
    • Orissa POST Epaper
    • Video
    • Home
    • Trending
    • Metro
    • State
    • Odisha Special
    • National
    • International
    • Sports
    • Business
    • Editorial
    • Entertainment
    • Horoscope
    • Careers
    • Feature
    • Today’s Pic
    • Opinion
    • Sci-Tech
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Jobs

    © 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST