Odisha News, Odisha Latest news, Odisha Daily - OrissaPOST
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
No Result
View All Result
OrissaPOST - Odisha Latest news, English Daily -
No Result
View All Result

COVID-19: China dares United States; asks Mike Pompeo to show ‘enormous evidence’

Agencies
Updated: May 6th, 2020, 18:10 IST
in Coronavirus, International
0
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare on Linkedin

Beijing: China Wednesday dared US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to show the “enormous evidence” he claimed to have to prove that the novel coronavirus originated from a lab in Wuhan and asserted that the virus was not man-made.

Pompeo said May 3 that the US has “enormous evidence” to show that the coronavirus began in the Wuhan Institute of Virology and Beijing has refused to give international scientists access to learn what happened.

Also Read

Balochistan

Hindu trader shot dead by unidentified armed men in Pakistan’s Balochistan

14 hours ago
EAM Jaishankar, Greek FM

Jaishankar holds telephonic talks with Greek FM Giorgos Gerapetritis ahead of UNGA meeting

14 hours ago

“He (Pompeo) said ‘enormous evidence’. Then show us,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told a media briefing here.

“Pompeo cannot present any evidence because he does not have any,” Hua said. “This matter should be handled by scientists and professionals instead of politicians out of their domestic political need.”

No evidence

She said the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) stated that the US has not presented any evidence to it so far to back up its claims.

“On the issue of the origin of coronavirus, people have different opinions. I think tracing the origin is a very serious matter. That should be researched by scientists and professionals,” she said.

“Almost all top scientists, including those in the US, believe that this virus came from nature, not man-made and there is no possibility that it was leaked from a lab,” said.

“The WHO officials also said all the evidence showed that the virus is not man-made,” she said.

Hua also said all countries must examine the reports that the cases of COVID-19 were reported in some countries in September and December last year.

She said recent reports said coronavirus cases were reported in the US in October last year. Reports from France spoke of a coronavirus case detected from a patient in December last year, Hua said.

All must re-examine

In the light of this “all countries must re-examine the cases emerged in 2019,” she said.

She also challenged Pompeo to show evidence to prove his charge that the viruses in the past originated from labs in China.

“Exactly when, where and which lab in China got such failures,” she asked and called for an investigation into US’ use of bacterial weapons in the past.

“The US used bacterial weapons in the Korean war and Agent Orange in the Vietnam war. In the recent decade, the US is blocking the protocol regime to the biological weapons convention,” she said.

Noting that the US CDC last year suspended research on pathogens at army lab, she said, “They have been silent on their purposes and safety. So, we hope the US can act in a responsible manner and respond to international calls to accept investigations and respond to concerns.”

The novel coronavirus has so far killed over 2.5 lakh people and infected more than 3.6 million globally.

PTI

Tags: ChinaCOVID-19enormous evidenceMike PompeoUnited States
ShareTweetSendShare
Suggest A Correction

Enter your email to get our daily news in your inbox.

 

OrissaPOST epaper Sunday POST OrissaPOST epaper

Click Here: Plastic Free Odisha

#MyPaperBagChallenge

Spinoj Pattnaik

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Mrutyunjaya Behera

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Diptiranjan Biswal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Mandakini Dakua

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Tapaswini Mallick

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Priyasha Pradhan

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adweeti Bhattacharya

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Parbati Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sibarama Khotei

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Manas Samanta

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Faiza Firdous

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

D Rama Rao

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Chinmay Kumar Routray

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Jyotshna Mayee Pattnaik

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Ramakanta Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pragyan Priyambada

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Swarit Praharaj

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sarmistha Nayak

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratik Kumar Ghibela

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Shreyanshu Bal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Narendra Kumar

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Archana Parida

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anasuya Sahoo

December 12, 2019
Aravalli committee
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Vanavasi Kalyan Ashram seeks 2-month extension for Aravalli committee deadline

New Delhi: The Akhil Bharatiya Vanavasi Kalyan Ashram has sought that the chairperson of the high-powered committee constituted under the ...

August 8, 2026
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sitakanta Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratik Kumar

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adyasha Priyadarsani Sendha

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Bijswajit Pradhan

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Akriti Negi

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adrita Bhattacharya

December 12, 2019

Archives

Editorial

Conversion Conundrum

August 23, 2026

By Aakar Patel Headline from this week: “Pune Police withdraws conversion law provisions from 2 cases after officials find Act...

Read moreDetails

Politics of Eligibility

August 22, 2026

By Dilip Cherian The controversy surrounding Odisha’s next DGP is not really about Sanjeeb Panda or others in the race....

Read moreDetails

Jittery BJP

August 19, 2026

There are tell-tale signs that the BJP has been shaken to its core following the upsurge of protests by the...

Read moreDetails

Bar & Bench

August 18, 2026

It is a happy augury for Indian democracy that the country's young talents aspiring to join the legal profession have...

Read moreDetails
  • Home
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs
Developed By Ratna Technology

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

  • News in Odia
  • Orissa POST Epaper
  • Video
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Metro
  • State
  • Odisha Special
  • National
  • International
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Entertainment
  • Horoscope
  • Careers
  • Feature
  • Today’s Pic
  • Opinion
  • Sci-Tech
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

    • News in Odia
    • Orissa POST Epaper
    • Video
    • Home
    • Trending
    • Metro
    • State
    • Odisha Special
    • National
    • International
    • Sports
    • Business
    • Editorial
    • Entertainment
    • Horoscope
    • Careers
    • Feature
    • Today’s Pic
    • Opinion
    • Sci-Tech
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Jobs

    © 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST