Khallikote: A man breathed his last Friday due to snakebite in Sanaghati Bahutipalli village under this block of Ganjam district. The deceased was identified as Maheswar Jena, son of late Ganesh Jena.
As per information available, Maheswar was bitten by a poisonous snake while he was sleeping alone in a room Thursday night. Friday morning his family found him unconscious with froth accumulating in his mouth. They rushed Maheswar to the Khallikote Community Health Centre in an ambulance. However, doctors declared him dead on arrival. Doctors also said that had Maheswar been treated promptly, his life could have been saved.
Informed by the family members of Maheswar, personnel from Khallikote police station reached the hospital and sent the body for post-mortem. They also registered a case of unnatural death.
It should be stated here that Maheshwar is survived by his wife and three children (two daughters and a son). He was the sole earning member of his family. His neighbours have appealed to the district administration to provide financial aid to the bereaved family.