Teacher among two electrocuted during I-Day fete prep; 4 hurt

electrocution

Simulia/Nabarangpur: Two persons, including a physical education teacher, were electrocuted and four others injured in separate incidents in Baleshwar and Nabarangpur districts after flagpoles came in contact with overhead power lines during preparations for Independence Day celebrations.

In the first incident, physical education teacher Priyabrata Behera, 24, was electrocuted and three students were injured Saturday when an iron flagpole touched an 11-kV power line at Royal High School and Royal Public School in Maitapur under Simulia block in Baleshwar district.

Behera, a resident of the Basta area, was installing the flagpole when it came in contact with the overhead line.

The students Chirag Nayak, Mrutyunjay Sahu and Gourav Ranjan Mallick were assisting him when they were injured.

Critically injured, Behera was rushed to the Bhadrak District Headquarters Hospital, where doctors pronounced him dead. The three students were admitted to Simulia Community Health Centre.

Bhadrak Rural police registered an unnatural death case-96/26, in connection with the incident.

School authorities said they would provide all possible assistance to Behera’s family and had paid Rs 7 lakh in compensation.

Electricity department SDO Pratap Kumar Behera said the department had no provision for compensation in such cases.

In the second incident, private driver Chandan Behera was electrocuted while a flagpole was being installed at the District Review Officer’s office in Nabarangpur Saturday.

According to departmental officer Prashant Behera, Chandan and lead officer Deepak Dash were fixing the flagpole when the iron pipe came in contact with an overhead power line. Both received electric shocks and collapsed.

They were taken to the district headquarters hospital, where Chandan died during treatment.

Dash was also receiving treatment in the hospital. Chandan’s family alleged that he had been murdered and demanded a detailed investigation.

They also sought action against those responsible and compensation, warning of protests if their demands were not met.

Orissa POST – Odisha’s No.1 English Daily
Exit mobile version