Odisha News, Odisha Latest news, Odisha Daily - OrissaPOST
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
No Result
View All Result
OrissaPOST - Odisha Latest news, English Daily -
No Result
View All Result

UK to roll out age checks for porn in world first

AFP
Updated: April 18th, 2019, 10:00 IST
in International
0
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare on Linkedin

London, April 17: Britain in July is set to become the first country in the world to introduce age-verification to access online pornography, the government said on Wednesday.

Child protection groups welcomed the move but digital rights groups warned of the possibility of data leaks and the implications for online privacy. The new law, which comes into force on July 15, will require commercial providers of internet pornography to check on users’ ages to ensure that they are 18 or over.

Also Read

India-Kuwait

Indian envoy Paramitha Tripathi meets Kuwait minister to strengthen trade ties

6 hours ago
Bangladesh-Islamist militancy

Bangladesh faces renewed militancy threat after explosives found at 7 locations

11 hours ago

Different sites will use different verification methods ranging from online passport or credit card checks to special vouchers that can be bought in shops. “Adult content is currently far too easy for children to access online,” Minister for Digital Margot James said in a statement.

Websites that fail to implement the verification technology could have payment services withdrawn or be blocked for British users, according to the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS). It is the latest move by British authorities to crack down on the spread of online abuses and crimes.

The government announced earlier this month proposals to make social media bosses personally liable for harmful content and shut down offending platforms. The latest step to bring in age-verification for pornography follows public consultation and parliamentary debate on the issue last year.

Research conducted as part of that outreach found that 88 percent of parents with children aged seven to 17 supported new controls, DCMS said. The department insisted the range of checks to be carried out by providers would be “rigorous” and go beyond users simply entering their date of birth or ticking a box.

The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) will be responsible for ensuring compliance. The government said it had “listened carefully” to privacy concerns and was clear the arrangements should only be concerned with verifying age — not identity.

The BBFC will therefore also create — in cooperation with industry — a voluntary certification scheme to assess the data security standards of the providers. Internet Matters, a non-profit organisation concerned with online child safety, said it was “delighted” that the government tackling the issue but also sounded a cautionary note.

“We must recognise that digital solutions aren’t the only answer,” said it’s CEO Carolyn Bunting. “There is no substitute to having regular and honest conversations with your child about what they’re getting up to online.” Will Gardner, chief executive of Childnet, welcomed the move, saying it brings in “the same protections that we use offline to protect children”.

But the Open Rights Group said age verification was “dangerous and irresponsible”. Jim Killock, executive director of the campaign group, said privacy standards should be enforced alongside the legislation.

“Data leaks could be disastrous. And they will be the government’s own fault,” he said.

Tags: age-verificationBritainjuly
ShareTweetSendShare
Suggest A Correction

Enter your email to get our daily news in your inbox.

 

OrissaPOST epaper Sunday POST OrissaPOST epaper

Click Here: Plastic Free Odisha

#MyPaperBagChallenge

Diptiranjan Biswal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Nishikant Rout

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Ankita Balabantray

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Akriti Negi

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Rajashree Manasa Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratik Kumar

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sitakanta Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Mandakini Dakua

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anup Mahapatra

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Praptimayee Biswal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anshuman Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Subhajyoti Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Parbati Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratyasharani Ghibela

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Subhajyoti Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Chinmay Kumar Routray

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Jyotshna Mayee Pattnaik

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Tabish Maaz

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adweeti Bhattacharya

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Priyabrata Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Smitarani Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Jhili Jena

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Saishree Satyarupa

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Ramakanta Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adyasha Priyadarsani Sendha

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Narendra Kumar

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Archit Mohapatra

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Kamana Singh

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sibarama Khotei

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Keshab Chandra Rout

December 12, 2019

Archives

Editorial

Conversion Conundrum

August 23, 2026

By Aakar Patel Headline from this week: “Pune Police withdraws conversion law provisions from 2 cases after officials find Act...

Read moreDetails

Politics of Eligibility

August 22, 2026

By Dilip Cherian The controversy surrounding Odisha’s next DGP is not really about Sanjeeb Panda or others in the race....

Read moreDetails

Jittery BJP

August 19, 2026

There are tell-tale signs that the BJP has been shaken to its core following the upsurge of protests by the...

Read moreDetails

Bar & Bench

August 18, 2026

It is a happy augury for Indian democracy that the country's young talents aspiring to join the legal profession have...

Read moreDetails
  • Home
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs
Developed By Ratna Technology

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

  • News in Odia
  • Orissa POST Epaper
  • Video
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Metro
  • State
  • Odisha Special
  • National
  • International
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Entertainment
  • Horoscope
  • Careers
  • Feature
  • Today’s Pic
  • Opinion
  • Sci-Tech
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

    • News in Odia
    • Orissa POST Epaper
    • Video
    • Home
    • Trending
    • Metro
    • State
    • Odisha Special
    • National
    • International
    • Sports
    • Business
    • Editorial
    • Entertainment
    • Horoscope
    • Careers
    • Feature
    • Today’s Pic
    • Opinion
    • Sci-Tech
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Jobs

    © 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST