Nabarangpur: Electrocution of a youth at Chalipata village under Papadahandi block in Nabarangpur district triggered outrage here Friday.
Irate over the incident, locals staged a dharna by placing the body of a youth late Thursday night. The deceased has been identified as Mana Kati of Chalipata village. He was working as a contractual employee in the electricity department.
According to sources, Mana had climbed an electricity pole at Chalipata village for electricity connectivity work to Amilipadar village. Accidentally, he came in contact with a live wire and died on the spot.
Fuming over the incident, locals staged protests on the spot by placing the body on road demanding adequate compensation to the deceased’s family members. After the administration failed to consider their plea, the locals and family members of the deceased decided to stage a dharna in front of Papadahandi electricity office Friday morning.
However, the police along with Papadahandi tehsildar stopped them on the midway and tried to pacify them. Irate locals then sat on a dharna on the middle of the road.
In another incident reported from Dhenkanal, a youth was electrocuted while his father sustained critical burn injuries after they accidentally came in contact with a live wire at Gengutia village early Friday morning.
The deceased has been identified as Jitendra Nayak, son of injured, Joginath Nayak.
According to sources, the father and son duo was busy in roofing their thatched house when they accidentally came in contact with an 11-KV live wire which was hanging over the house.
While Jitendra died on the spot, Joginath was rescued and rushed to Dhenkanal district headquarters hospital.