Kendrapara:A 14-year-old boy died Sunday due to faulty administration of an injection by a quack. The incident occurred at Balikana Sasana village under Rajnagar police station.
Irate locals detained the quack at the village. According to Sukanta Kumar Patra, IIC of Rajnagar police station, Subrata Kumar Barik, son of Meghanada Barik, of Balikana Sasana, was suffering from fever.
As a result, the boy went to bring medicine from the quack Indrajit Biswas, a resident of Midnapore in West Bengal, who has a medicine shop at Balikana Sasana for the last six months.
The quack administered a traxon injection to the boy, following which the latter returned home. But he fell uneasy and collapsed. He was rushed to Rajnagar CHC where Dr Pranab Kumar Sukla declared the boy received dead.
The boy died as he was administered overdose injection. The quack administered 350 ml of traxon injection instead of giving 120 ml. Due to overdose the boy died untimely, said Patra.
When the news spread, the locals detained the quack. Rajnagar police rushed to the spot and rescued the quack.
Meghanada lodged an FIR against the quack at Rajnagar police station. Police registered a case and arrested the quack. Police seized the body and sent it for autopsy to Aul CHC.
As doctor posts are lying vacant in several PHCs, quacks, expectedly, have a field day in these remote villages. A large number of gullible people spend their hard earned money for wrong, sometimes fatal treatment.
In April 2017, a six-year-old boy, Jagatjeet Rout, son of late Jagabandhu Rout, of Basantapur under Koilipur GP, had died after he was administered an injection by a quack at Tantiapala under Mahakalapara police station.