Angul: Even as the State observed Thursday the ‘National Deworming Day’, ironically though 26 students of an upper primary school in this district fell sick. They were admitted to the local hospital. The incident was reported from Balipata Rathasahi Project Upper Primary School under Chhendipada block.
The students (both boys and girls) fell ill after being administered free deworming drug by the District Health Department through their school teacher. They have been admitted to Balipata Primary Health Centre (PHC).
Earlier, a teacher of each school in the block was trained at Chhendipada Panchayat Samiti (Block Office) before administering the deworming drug to the students so that they could take up the programme on the occasion of ‘National Deworming Day’.
Accordingly, 173 students were given deworming drug at 1.10 pm after mid-day meal and were instructed to consume it. However, after consumption of the drug 26 students complained of uneasiness and were rushed to the local PHC.
Headmaster Arun Kumar Pradhan told reporters that the teachers were trained at the block office Tuesday about the use of deworming drug. “We were advised to administer the medicine August 8 post lunch. Hence, we distributed them accordingly,” informed Pradhan.
“We were also instructed not to panic if a few students vomit, complain of nausea or stomachache. In case of such symptoms, we were told to administer ORS to such children and allow them to recline in an open space before providing them fan facility. If their condition deteriorates further, we should refer them to the nearest health centre or consult the ASHA workers,” Pradhan added.
Initially, two students complained of reaction to the drug. “Later, more students got were psychologically affected. Hence, we rushed all the 26 students to the hospital,” the headmaster said.