Odisha News, Odisha Latest news, Odisha Daily - OrissaPOST
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
No Result
View All Result
OrissaPOST - Odisha Latest news, English Daily -
No Result
View All Result
EVOS

Wimbledon cancelled for the first time since World War II

Updated: April 2nd, 2020, 12:44 IST
in Sports
0
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare on Linkedin

In yet another devastating impact of COVID-19 pandemic, Wimbledon has been cancelled Wednesday by the organisers. And this is for the first time since the World War II that the oldest Grand Slam tennis tournament has been scrapped from a calendar year.

It is with great regret that the AELTC has today decided that The Championships 2020 will be cancelled due to public health concerns linked to the coronavirus epidemic.

The 134th Championships will instead be staged from 28 June to 11 July 2021.https://t.co/c0QV2ymGAt

— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) April 1, 2020

Also Read

Messi to visit Hyderabad next month as part of his ‘GOAT Tour of India’

1 day ago
Ayush Mhatre

Ayush Mhatre to lead India in U19 Asia Cup

2 days ago

The coronavirus is wreaking further havoc on the global sporting calendar. The cancellation of the only grasscourt major at the All England Club leaves the season in disarray, with no tennis due to be played until mid-July.

The news of ‘Wimbledon cancelled’ left the eight-time champion at the All England Club, Roger Federer in shock as the Swiss great wrote ‘Devastated’ on his official Twitter handle.

Devastated https://t.co/Fg2c1EuTQY pic.twitter.com/cm1wE2VwIp

— Roger Federer (@rogerfederer) April 1, 2020

Meanwhile, Serena Williams, who is a seven-time champion at the grass court slam tournament, said that she was shocked by the momentous decision.

I’m Shooked https://t.co/dS0cNcCdm0

— Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) April 1, 2020

Wimbledon was supposed to be played from June 29 for a two-week period, with Serbia’s ATP World No.1 Novak Djokovic and Romania’s WTA World No.2 Simona Halep set to defend their singles titles in the men’s and women’s segments respectively.

Nevertheless, the tournament chiefs finally bowed to the inevitable Wednesday, saying that they had made the decision with ‘great regret’.

Ian Hewitt, the All England Club chairman, said the decision had not been taken lightly. “It has weighed heavily on our minds that the staging of The Championships has only been interrupted previously by world wars,” he said.

“But, following thorough and extensive consideration of all scenarios, we believe that it is a measure of this global crisis that it is ultimately the right decision to cancel this year’s Championships, he added further.

Halep expressed her disappointment on her Twitter handle writing, “So sad to hear @Wimbledon won’t take place this year. Last year’s final will forever be one of the happiest days of my life! But we are going through something bigger than tennis and Wimbledon will be back! And it means I have even longer to look forward to defending my title.”

So sad to hear @Wimbledon won’t take place this year. Last year’s final will forever be one of the happiest days of my life! But we are going through something bigger than tennis and Wimbledon will be back! And it means I have even longer to look forward to defending my title 🤗 pic.twitter.com/PmppwUuKtD

— Simona Halep (@Simona_Halep) April 1, 2020

The decision – ‘Wimbledon cancelled’ – was widely expected, with the world struggling to contain the wide-spread of novel coronavirus, which has infected more than 840,000 people across the planet and killed over 40,000 people.

The decision prompted the men’s tennis body and and the women’s tennis board to cancel the grasscourt events in the build-up to the BigW (Wimbledon). And that means the tennis season will not recommence until July 13 at the earliest.

The US Tennis Association although gave a positive response, saying the US Open will go ahead as planned. The tournament is supposed to take place from August 31 to September 13.

“At this time, the USTA still plans to host the US Open as scheduled, and we continue to hone plans to stage the tournament,” it said in a statement.

“The USTA is carefully monitoring the rapidly-changing environment surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, and is preparing for all contingencies,” the statement added.

Tags: 2020 WimbledonwimbledonWimbledon 2020Wimbledon cancelled
ShareTweetSendShare
Suggest A Correction

Enter your email to get our daily news in your inbox.

 

OrissaPOST epaper Sunday POST OrissaPOST epaper

Click Here: Plastic Free Odisha

#MyPaperBagChallenge

Ramakanta Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Mrutyunjaya Behera

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Surya Sidhant Rath

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratik Kumar

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anup Mahapatra

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Akriti Negi

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Praptimayee Biswal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sitakanta Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Debasis Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Rajashree Pravati Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Tabish Maaz

December 12, 2019
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Dibya Ranjan Das

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Bijswajit Pradhan

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratik Kumar Ghibela

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratyasharani Ghibela

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Mandakini Dakua

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adweeti Bhattacharya

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Lopali Pattnaik

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Subhajyoti Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Archana Parida

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Smitarani Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Tapaswini Mallick

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adrita Bhattacharya

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Swarit Praharaj

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Ankita Balabantray

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Diptiranjan Biswal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anshuman Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sarmistha Nayak

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Narendra Kumar

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Arya Ayushman

December 12, 2019

Archives

Editorial

Mini-PMO Experiment

November 29, 2025

For three days, Naya Raipur is set to cosplay as a “mini-PMO”, complete with the full weight of India’s security...

Read moreDetails

Food For Thought

processed foods odisha
November 26, 2025

Nearly 50 experts from different countries have sounded the alarm bell for global consumption of ultra processed food (UPF) which...

Read moreDetails

Might Is Right

Donald Trump
November 25, 2025

US President Donald Trump’s peace initiatives appear to be turning into a one-sided affair in which the aggressor is being...

Read moreDetails

COP Compromise

COP30
November 24, 2025

Even after running overtime for more than 18 hours, the COP30 summit at Belém, Brazil, concluded with a compromise agreement...

Read moreDetails
  • Home
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs
Developed By Ratna Technology

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

  • News in Odia
  • Orissa POST Epaper
  • Video
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Metro
  • State
  • Odisha Special
  • National
  • International
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Entertainment
  • Horoscope
  • Careers
  • Feature
  • Today’s Pic
  • Opinion
  • Sci-Tech
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

    • News in Odia
    • Orissa POST Epaper
    • Video
    • Home
    • Trending
    • Metro
    • State
    • Odisha Special
    • National
    • International
    • Sports
    • Business
    • Editorial
    • Entertainment
    • Horoscope
    • Careers
    • Feature
    • Today’s Pic
    • Opinion
    • Sci-Tech
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Jobs

    © 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST