Odisha News, Odisha Latest news, Odisha Daily - OrissaPOST
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
No Result
View All Result
OrissaPOST - Odisha Latest news, English Daily -
No Result
View All Result

Delhi government bans all sporting events including IPL matches  

Agencies
Updated: March 13th, 2020, 14:10 IST
in Coronavirus, National, Sports, Top Stories
0
Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia addresses a press conference as Health Minister Satyendra Jain (R) looks on

Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia addresses a press conference as Health Minister Satyendra Jain (R) looks on

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare on Linkedin

New Delhi: The Delhi government has decided to stop all sports gathering, including IPL 2020, in the national capital amid the coronavirus threat, Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said Friday.

Addressing a press conference, Sisodia said district magistrates have been asked to ensure that all directives pertaining to coronavirus are implemented.

Also Read

Higher education

University Township in Bhubaneswar, Sambalpur, Koraput soon

1 hour ago
Mukesh Mahaling

Digital prescriptions to curb antibiotics use: Minister Mukesh Mahaling

1 hour ago

“All sports gatherings will be banned, including the IPL, in wake of the coronavirus threat,” he said.

In another development Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain said home quarantine is the best solution in case one has any symptom of coronavirus. Delhi has so far reported six cases of coronavirus.

The Delhi government’s decision has raised fresh doubts over the fate of India Open badminton tournament, a crucial event in the Tokyo Olympics qualification cycle.  The USD 400,000 Super 500 event was supposed to be held without any spectators to avoid spreading the deadly disease.

“We will go by what the government decides. It is not in our hand. We have to follow the government’s decisions. Currently there is no clarity on the visa process of the foreign players and on top of it now the Delhi government has come up with this directive,” a Badminton Association of India (BAI) official said while reacting to the decision.

The BAI and the Badminton World Federation (BWF) had issued a joint statement earlier Wednesday, informing that the event will be held inside closed doors due to the coronavirus outbreak.

However, the government Wednesday night issued a revised travel advisory, suspending all existing visas, except diplomatic and employment, till April 15.

The Sports Ministry had asked Thursday all national federations, including the cricket board, to follow the Health Ministry’s advisory and avoid large gatherings in sports events.

The BAI has sent a letter to the respective ministries, attaching the names of the foreign players who were supposed to travel for the India Open.

“We have provided the details of the foreign players who were supposed to come for the India Open. We are waiting for a response,” the official said. “It is a difficult situation for us as well. A decision has to be made at the earliest. Being hosts we have to continue with the preparation,” he added.

Meanwhile after the Delhi government’s decision, the BCCI has started looking for alternate venues in ‘willing’ states to conduct a closed-door matches.

The IPL is due to start March 29 in Mumbai and Delhi’s first game will be played March 30.

The BCCI responded by listing the alternate venues that could play host. Delhi is home to the Delhi Capital IPL franchise. “Lucknow has wanted to host IPL matches for a while now. If it’s a closed door tournament, it really doesn’t matter where it is played,” a BCCI source said.

Karnataka has also expressed its unwillingness to host IPL matches, while Maharashtra have banned the sale of tickets.

Agencies

 

Tags: BadmintonBCCIDelhi governmentHealth MinistryIPLManish Sisodia
ShareTweetSendShare
Suggest A Correction

Enter your email to get our daily news in your inbox.

 

OrissaPOST epaper Sunday POST OrissaPOST epaper

Click Here: Plastic Free Odisha

#MyPaperBagChallenge

Priyasha Pradhan

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sibarama Khotei

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Ramakanta Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anshuman Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Jyotshna Mayee Pattnaik

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Akriti Negi

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Praptimayee Biswal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Nishikant Rout

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Manas Samanta

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Archit Mohapatra

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sarmistha Nayak

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Narendra Kumar

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Swarit Praharaj

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Geetanjali Patro

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Mandakini Dakua

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Keshab Chandra Rout

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Aman Kumar Barisal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Parbati Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anup Mahapatra

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Subhajyoti Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Tapaswini Mallick

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Archana Parida

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratyasharani Ghibela

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratik Kumar Ghibela

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Ramakanta Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Jhili Jena

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adweeti Bhattacharya

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sitakanta Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratik Kumar

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Rajashree Pravati Mohanty

December 12, 2019

Archives

Editorial

Conversion Conundrum

August 23, 2026

By Aakar Patel Headline from this week: “Pune Police withdraws conversion law provisions from 2 cases after officials find Act...

Read moreDetails

Politics of Eligibility

August 22, 2026

By Dilip Cherian The controversy surrounding Odisha’s next DGP is not really about Sanjeeb Panda or others in the race....

Read moreDetails

Jittery BJP

August 19, 2026

There are tell-tale signs that the BJP has been shaken to its core following the upsurge of protests by the...

Read moreDetails

Bar & Bench

August 18, 2026

It is a happy augury for Indian democracy that the country's young talents aspiring to join the legal profession have...

Read moreDetails
  • Home
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs
Developed By Ratna Technology

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

  • News in Odia
  • Orissa POST Epaper
  • Video
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Metro
  • State
  • Odisha Special
  • National
  • International
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Entertainment
  • Horoscope
  • Careers
  • Feature
  • Today’s Pic
  • Opinion
  • Sci-Tech
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

    • News in Odia
    • Orissa POST Epaper
    • Video
    • Home
    • Trending
    • Metro
    • State
    • Odisha Special
    • National
    • International
    • Sports
    • Business
    • Editorial
    • Entertainment
    • Horoscope
    • Careers
    • Feature
    • Today’s Pic
    • Opinion
    • Sci-Tech
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Jobs

    © 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST