New Delhi: The Election Commission said Monday that it had received 49 complaints for violation of model code of conduct (MCC) during the Lok Sabha elections of which 43 had been disposed off and six were under its consideration.
Talking to reporters here, Deputy Election Commissioner Sandeep Saxena said that the MCC was violated in 28 of these cases and different decisions have been taken including warnings, censure, ‘no campaign for a certain period’ and FIRs in a few cases.
Answering queries about one of the two Election Commissioners registering his verbal dissent in some cases, he said the provisions is that to the possible extent, a unanimous decision should be taken and this is what happens in most of the cases.
“But in some of the cases, there may be a differing view and whatever is the majority view is what is taken as the final decision,” he said.
Answering a query concerning the Congress’ complaints against Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP chief Amit Shah, he said that in 11 particular cases, there was a court direction and a reply would be filed in the court. “It is a subjudice matter and I would not like to share anything on that. Today is the last date and the scheduled hearing is on Wednesday. So we have given our reply, since it is subjudice, I would not divulge the details,” he said.
The Supreme Court Monday asked Congress MP Sushmita Dev to produce the evidence on record regarding the Election Commission’s order giving a clean chit to the Prime Minister Modi and Amit Shah.
In her petition, Dev alleged that ‘inaction’ by the poll panel on complaints against top BJP leaders was ‘a sign of invidious discrimination’, and maintaining such an approach is destructive, which will cast doubt on the integrity of electoral process.
Election Commission officials said that that if a prima facie case is made out in a complaint and notice is issued, it is displayed on the commission’s website.