Odisha News, Odisha Latest news, Odisha Daily - OrissaPOST
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
No Result
View All Result
OrissaPOST - Odisha Latest news, English Daily -
No Result
View All Result

Iran nuclear deal: United States to end sanctions waiver for all countries

Agencies
Updated: May 28th, 2020, 15:39 IST
in International
0
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare on Linkedin

Washington: The US will end the last remaining sanctions waiver that allowed countries like China to cooperate with Iran on civil nuclear projects under the landmark 2015 Iran nuclear deal, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has announced.

European nations and other parties to the nuclear deal, including Russia and China, have continued to work with Iran within the framework of the 2015 pact, which eased economic sanctions on Tehran in exchange for limits on its nuclear programme. The waivers allowed companies from these countries to work with Iran on civil nuclear projects.

Also Read

Balochistan

Hindu trader shot dead by unidentified armed men in Pakistan’s Balochistan

15 hours ago
EAM Jaishankar, Greek FM

Jaishankar holds telephonic talks with Greek FM Giorgos Gerapetritis ahead of UNGA meeting

15 hours ago

The waivers were last renewed at the end of March and are due to expire at the end of the week.

Pompeo announced on Wednesday that the waivers will end following a 60-day wind-down period that is meant to allow businesses to cease operations.

“Today, I am announcing the end of the sanctions waiver covering all remaining JCPOA-originating nuclear projects in Iran — the Arak reactor conversion, the provision of enriched uranium for the Tehran Research Reactor, and the export of Iran’s spent and scrap research reactor fuel,” Pompeo said.

The announcement virtually ends the Iranian nuclear deal, which was a key foreign policy accomplishment of the previous Obama Administration.

President Donald Trump withdrew from the nuclear deal in 2018 and has steadily reimposed US sanctions on Iran that had been eased or lifted under its terms.

Pompeo alleged that the Iranian regime has continued its nuclear brinkmanship by expanding proliferation sensitive activities.

“These escalatory actions are unacceptable and I cannot justify renewing the waiver for these JCPOA-related activities as a result,” he said, adding that the regime’s nuclear extortion will lead to increased pressure on Iran and further isolate the regime from the international community.

“Moreover, Iran’s nuclear personnel need to make a choice – work for Iranian proliferation organisations and risk being sanctioned or put their skills to work for the Iranian people in pursuits outside of the proliferation realm,” he said.

As the waiver covering JCPOA-related activities comes to an end, the United States is providing a 90-day extension for the waiver covering ongoing international support to the Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant Unit 1 to ensure safety of operations.

“We will continue to closely monitor all developments in Iran’s nuclear programme and can modify this waiver at any time,” he said.

Pompeo also announced the designation of Majid Agha’i and Amjad Sazgar for engaging or attempting to engage in activities that have materially contributed to, or pose a risk of materially contributing to, the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

Sazgar is the Managing Director of the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran entity responsible for the industrial-scale production of uranium enrichment gas centrifuge machines.

In 2019, Sazgar managed and supervised the installation of centrifuges at Iran’s Fordow Fuel Enrichment plant. Through these activities, Sazgar has contributed to Iran’s continued provocative and destabilising expansion of its nuclear capabilities.

Agha’i has also been centrally involved in Iran’s uranium enrichment centrifuge operations, and is a manager in the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran subsidiary responsible for research and development of advanced centrifuges.

Later Special US Representative on Iran, Brian Hook said that the US is taking these actions now because the regime continues to use its nuclear programme to extort the international community.

“The Iranian regime’s threats are designed to intimidate nations into accepting Iran’s usual violent behaviour for fear of something worse.  We refuse to play by Iran’s rules,” he told reporters in a conference call.

President Donald Trump’s maximum pressure campaign has constrained and countered Iran in unprecedented ways.

“We have deprived the clerical rulers of vast amounts of revenue. We have disrupted their financial networks and their sectarian networks.  Because of our pressure, Iran’s leaders are facing a decision: either negotiate with us or manage economic collapse,” he said.

Hook said that Iran’s economy is especially grim because the autocratic rule of the ayatollahs has proven to be an economic catastrophe for the Iranian people.

Exports are down, the economy is in deep contraction, the budget – the government budget is facing unprecedented pressures it cannot fix, and access to foreign reserves is minimal.  The United States will continue its successful strategy of maximum economic pressure and diplomatic isolation, he asserted.

The US, he said, will deny Iran all paths to a nuclear weapon.

PTI

Tags: Iran nuclear dealsanctions waiverUnited States
ShareTweetSendShare
Suggest A Correction

Enter your email to get our daily news in your inbox.

 

OrissaPOST epaper Sunday POST OrissaPOST epaper

Click Here: Plastic Free Odisha

#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sibarama Khotei

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Manas Samanta

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sipra Mishra

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratik Kumar Ghibela

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Vandana Singh

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sarfraz Ahmad

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Jhili Jena

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Kamana Singh

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Geetanjali Patro

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adrita Bhattacharya

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Ipsita

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Arya Ayushman

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sitakanta Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Ankita Balabantray

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Saishree Satyarupa

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Keshab Chandra Rout

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Aman Kumar Barisal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Parbati Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Akriti Negi

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anshuman Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Faiza Firdous

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sarmistha Nayak

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Ramakanta Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Chinmay Kumar Routray

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Swarit Praharaj

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Bijswajit Pradhan

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adweeti Bhattacharya

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Subhajyoti Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Akshaya Kumar Dash

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratyasharani Ghibela

December 12, 2019

Archives

Editorial

Conversion Conundrum

August 23, 2026

By Aakar Patel Headline from this week: “Pune Police withdraws conversion law provisions from 2 cases after officials find Act...

Read moreDetails

Politics of Eligibility

August 22, 2026

By Dilip Cherian The controversy surrounding Odisha’s next DGP is not really about Sanjeeb Panda or others in the race....

Read moreDetails

Jittery BJP

August 19, 2026

There are tell-tale signs that the BJP has been shaken to its core following the upsurge of protests by the...

Read moreDetails

Bar & Bench

August 18, 2026

It is a happy augury for Indian democracy that the country's young talents aspiring to join the legal profession have...

Read moreDetails
  • Home
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs
Developed By Ratna Technology

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

  • News in Odia
  • Orissa POST Epaper
  • Video
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Metro
  • State
  • Odisha Special
  • National
  • International
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Entertainment
  • Horoscope
  • Careers
  • Feature
  • Today’s Pic
  • Opinion
  • Sci-Tech
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

    • News in Odia
    • Orissa POST Epaper
    • Video
    • Home
    • Trending
    • Metro
    • State
    • Odisha Special
    • National
    • International
    • Sports
    • Business
    • Editorial
    • Entertainment
    • Horoscope
    • Careers
    • Feature
    • Today’s Pic
    • Opinion
    • Sci-Tech
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Jobs

    © 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST