Jeypore: In a tragic incident, a six-year-old girl was charred to death while her mother and infant brother were left battling for life with serious burn injuries after fire broke out in their house at Para village under Borigumma tehsil in Koraput district Monday morning.
The deceased was identified as Dineshwari Harijan while the injured were Dhanamati Harijan and her four-month-old son.
According to sources, the fire broke out in a room where Dineshwari was present along with her mother and brother.
Hearing the screams, neighbours rushed to the spot and managed to rescue the woman and her son. However, the minor girl was burnt alive. The victim’s father was not home at the time of the mishap.
The mother-son duo was immediately rushed to Borigumma government hospital from where they were referred to the district headquarters hospital (DHH) in Jeypore.
As their condition deteriorated, they were later shifted to the Saheed Laxman Nayak Medical College and Hospital in Koraput for advanced treatment.
The condition of the son duo is stated to be serious with 70 per cent bun injuries.
Meanwhile, the villagers demanded adequate compensation for the family of the deceased.
Though the reason behind the fire is yet to be known, it is suspected that a petrol jar kept in the house might have caught fire, while some believe an electric short-circuit might be the reason.
Police have started an investigation into the matter.