Bargarh: In a shocking incident, a man and his daughter were electrocuted after they came into contact with a snapped 11-kv transmission wire which had fell on their bathroom at Trinath Nagar near the railway station on Bargarh outskirts Saturday.
The deceased were identified as Arun Gupta (62) and his daughter Meena Sahu (28). Family members rushed them to the district headquarters hospital after officials disconnected the power supply. The doctors declared dead them brought dead. The town police registered a case and started an investigation.
Agitated locals put up the body at Gurudwar Square and staged a road blockade, demanding compensation for the bereaved family members. Wesco officials and Bargarh municipality chairman Prasant Behera rushed to the spot and held talks with the protesters.
The road blockade was withdrawn at 8pm after Wesco authorities gave Rs 50,000 as ex-gratia and assured an additional Rs 30,000 and other financial assistance after completion of formalities.
They also assured to appoint the next of the kin of the deceased persons as outsourcing employees of the power distribution company. They also agreed to shift the utility pole from the area within a period of one month.
Sources said Meena lived with her family near her parent’s house in Trinath Nagar. The incident occurred when Meena had gone to take her bath at her father’s house at 1.30pm. She was bathing in the bathroom when the insulator of an overhead 11-kv transmission line broke and fell with the wire on the roof.
As a result the whole bathroom was charged with electric current. Meena screamed for help and collapsed when Arun rushed inside and met with the same fate while trying to rescue his daughter. PNN