Phiringia: A tribal man and his wife were electrocuted while trying to pluck mangoes from a roadside tree in Bandhagarh village under Phiringia police limits of Kandhamal district Wednesday.
The deceased have been identified as Dasarath Bhukta (50) and his wife Sarojini Bhukta (45) of the same village.
According to sources, the mishap occurred while the couple were plucking the fruits and were unmindful of the live electric wire passing through the tree.
As the stick Sarojini used to pluck mangoes was wet, the woman first came in contact with the live wire. Dasarath held his wife in an attempt to save her following which the couple died on the spot after coming in contact with a 33 kV line.
On being informed about the incident, police rushed to the spot and launched a probe into the incident. The bodies were retrieved and sent to a local hospital for post-mortem.
A case of unnatural death have been lodged and the police are looking into the incident.