Balugaon: In a tragic incident, two women – 62-year-old Bidyutlata Mohapatra and Mamata Mohapatra (25) were electrocuted at Tentulidiha village of Bishnupur panchayat under Banapur police limits in Khurda district Tuesday morning.
According to eye-witnesses, there is an electric wire passing through the grill gate in Bidyutlata’s house. Due to some unknown reason, a portion of the grill had turned into an electric conductor. Oblivious to this development, when Bidyutlata touched the grill, she received a shock and fell down. Seeing her fall, neighbour Prakash Mohapatra’s wife Mamata rushed to her help.
Mamata also was unaware that the grill had turned into an electric conductor. She also touched the grill and immediately suffered electrocution and collapsed.
Both Bidyutlata and Mamata were immediately rushed to Balugaon Government Hospital where doctors declared them received dead.
As the news broke, a pall of gloom descended on the village. The residents of the village were preparing to celebrate Dussehra when tragedy struck.