In a shocking sequence of events, a 27-year-old Brazilian woman, Fernanda Valoz Pinto died after eating chocolate offered to her by a palm reader who apparently predicted her death. A mother of one, Pinto in August had visited the Maceió area in Brazil, known for its fortune tellers, where she was approached by an aged lady claiming her to be a fortune teller, requesting Pinto to let her read her palm.
The mystic lady after reading Pinto’s palm told her that she had a couple of days left to live. Later, while leaving the elderly lady gifted Pinto a package containing chocolates. In the beginning, everything seemed normal, Pinto really didn’t feel anything suspicious and ate the chocolate. According to Cristina, a cousin of Pinto, while explaining the incident to local media, “As it was packaged, it didn’t occur harmful to her. And as she was hungry, she decided to eat it.”
However, after a couple of hours of consuming the chocolate, Pinto felt seriously unwell and started showing symptoms of both vomiting and dizziness. In a text to her family, she informed them of her deteriorating health condition, saying, “My heart is racing. I’ve thrown up. But I have this taste in my mouth – so bitter, bad. My vision is blurry. I’m so weak.”
She continued, “I leaned on the water tank. I almost fell. I almost met God. I don’t know why I’m like this, sis. I’ve been feeling bad all day.” At first, the family assumed her condition related to her pre-existing health problems, including gastric and ulcer. Later, suspicion turned to the chocolate she consumed, when Pinto mentioned the fortune teller she met earlier that day.
In the last text before her death, Pinto said, “Because I accepted a chocolate in the city centre. I ate it. After that, I felt sick. At the time, it didn’t even cross my mind. She was an old lady.”
Her condition continued deteriorating and Pinto’s cousin rushed her to the nearest Santa Casa de Misericordia hospital. Upon her arrival, Pinto started bleeding from her nose and foaming at the mouth. Even after all their best efforts doctors couldn’t able to save Pinto and later declared Pinto dead the following day.
Later in her autopsy report, it was revealed that the chocolate Pinto consumed had a high quantity of sulfotep and terbufos, two different kinds of pesticides that are easily accessible in Brazil. However, as per reports, there has been no death in the last five years in the area because of the mentioned chemicals.
PNN & Agencies