Odisha News, Odisha Latest news, Odisha Daily - OrissaPOST
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
  • Home
  • Trending
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • More..
    • Odisha Special
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Careers
    • Sci-Tech
    • Timeout
    • Horoscope
    • Today’s Pic
  • Video
  • Epaper
  • News in Odia
No Result
View All Result
OrissaPOST - Odisha Latest news, English Daily -
No Result
View All Result

World No. 2 Medvedev could be banned from Wimbledon this year: Report

IANS
Updated: April 5th, 2022, 14:14 IST
in Sports
0
Pic Credit: tennis365.com

Pic Credit: tennis365.com

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare on Linkedin

London: Wimbledon could ban Russian tennis player and current world No. 2 Daniil Medvedev from competing in the tournament this year over fears that a win could “boost (President) Vladimir Putin’s regime amid the invasion of Ukraine,” according to a report in mirror.co.uk.

While Russian players are allowed to compete without flags or anthems in the wake of Russia’s aggression in Ukraine, the report said that the All England Club could likely impose stricter measures on Russian tennis players, including Medvedev.

Also Read

Day 3 ends early due to rain; India lead by 178

13 hours ago
Cristiano Ronaldo

Ronaldo drops retirement hint, says ‘probably my last year’

15 hours ago

The report added that the All England Club had been advised that its independent tournament status means it “could implement a ban on Russian players that fail to condemn the actions of Putin — and not face legal repercussions”.

As with other tournaments on the tour, including the three other majors, which have remained neutral “due to fears they could be taken to court”, Wimbledon can take stricter measures as the tournament “possesses a different status”, the report added.

A spokesperson for the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (AELTC) appears to have confirmed the Championships may ask Russian athletes to go a step further and maybe sign a form condemning Putin’s action in order to compete at Wimbledon, according to the report.

“Private member clubs have more freedom as to who to allow in or not, so they wouldn’t be subject to the same discrimination laws as the tours,” the spokesman was quoted as saying in the report on Monday evening.

“If you are running the main tennis tour, you have the freedom to ban players — if they have been found guilty of match-fixing or doping, for instance — but you have to be able to show that this course of action is reasonable.

“In this instance, if the tours took strong action, Russians players could argue that they are being prevented from making a living through no fault of their own. That is not so much of an issue for Wimbledon, however,” the spokesman said.

The AELTC will likely release their policy next month before the deadline for the entries ends, said the report. “It would allow impacted players to know what is expected of them if they hope to play at the grass-court grand slam,” added the report.

UK sports minister Nigel Huddleston recently declared that Putin must not be allowed to take political advantage of any Russian athletes and their achievements in Britain, according to the report.

He has suggested that “Medvedev and Belarusian world No. 5 Aryna Sabalenka should only be allowed to participate in major sporting events in the UK as long as they sign a form denouncing Putin and his actions”.

“We wish to get assurance in a written declaration that they are not receiving money from Putin, Russia or Belarus (and) that they will not be making supportive comments of Putin, Russia or Belarus,” Huddleston said.

Tags: Daniil Medvedevwimbledon
ShareTweetSendShare
Suggest A Correction

Enter your email to get our daily news in your inbox.

 

OrissaPOST epaper Sunday POST OrissaPOST epaper

Click Here: Plastic Free Odisha

#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sarfraz Ahmad

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Surya Sidhant Rath

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Jhili Jena

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Mrutyunjaya Behera

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Chinmay Kumar Routray

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Shreyanshu Bal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Subhajyoti Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Saishree Satyarupa

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Priyabrata Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adweeti Bhattacharya

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Smitarani Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Subhajyoti Mohanty

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Vandana Singh

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pratyasharani Ghibela

December 12, 2019
Aravalli committee
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Vanavasi Kalyan Ashram seeks 2-month extension for Aravalli committee deadline

New Delhi: The Akhil Bharatiya Vanavasi Kalyan Ashram has sought that the chairperson of the high-powered committee constituted under the ...

August 8, 2026
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Adyasha Priyadarsani Sendha

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Matrumangal Jena

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Diptiranjan Biswal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Anshuman Sahoo

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Akshaya Kumar Dash

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sisirkumar Maharana

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Geetanjali Patro

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Ipsita

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Kamana Singh

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pitabas Tripathy

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Faiza Firdous

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Keshab Chandra Rout

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Pragyan Priyambada

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Aman Kumar Barisal

December 12, 2019
#MyPaperBagChallenge

Sipra Mishra

December 12, 2019

Archives

Editorial

Thinking Naxals

Thinking Naxals
August 17, 2026

In any democracy, the most disturbing threat to freedom is not always censorship. Sometimes it is the language used to...

Read moreDetails

Succession Gap

August 15, 2026

By Dilip Cherian India’s bureaucracy may be running short of one thing more important than babus: succession. The Centre’s decision...

Read moreDetails

Race for Right

August 12, 2026

A colossal tragedy on a sea has given fillip to ultra-right politics in Italy, Germany and the UK. The three...

Read moreDetails

Jantar Mantar to Ranchi

Election Commission of India
August 11, 2026

Police used water cannons, lobbed tear gas shells, and lathi-charged job aspirants as they breached barricades multiple times on 10...

Read moreDetails
  • Home
  • State
  • Metro
  • National
  • International
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs
Developed By Ratna Technology

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

  • News in Odia
  • Orissa POST Epaper
  • Video
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Metro
  • State
  • Odisha Special
  • National
  • International
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Entertainment
  • Horoscope
  • Careers
  • Feature
  • Today’s Pic
  • Opinion
  • Sci-Tech
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs

© 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST

    • News in Odia
    • Orissa POST Epaper
    • Video
    • Home
    • Trending
    • Metro
    • State
    • Odisha Special
    • National
    • International
    • Sports
    • Business
    • Editorial
    • Entertainment
    • Horoscope
    • Careers
    • Feature
    • Today’s Pic
    • Opinion
    • Sci-Tech
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Jobs

    © 2025 All rights Reserved by OrissaPOST