Goddess Durga indicates the confluence of power of all goddesses. Maa Durga is ferocious to demons and at the same time highly kind to her devotees. She waged a war against the evil forces to save the world from troubles. Thus, the form of Lord Durga assures protection and safety to the devotees.
The literal meaning of the word Durga is a fort. The significance of this title to Mother goddess indicates that she protects her devotees like the fort protects an empire.
The ten arms of Lord Durga symbolize that she protects her devotees from all directions namely the eight corners and from the sky and the earth.
Goddess Durga is depicted with three eyes that signify sun, moon and fire besides the past, present and future meaning that she is the ruler of the world and the one who is timelessly eternal.
Know the importance of the ten arms that Lord Durga holds in her ten hands.
- Conch: The conch is the symbol of the primordial sound called ‘AUM’ from which the entire creation emerged. Devi Durga is verily the creator of the universe.
- Discuss: The discuss revolving around Durga’s hands show that Durga is the center of creation and all the universe revolves around her.
- 3. Lotus: The lotus strikes a beautiful message that as it emanates from the slushy water to full blossom, Lord Durga’s compassion will help men rise up from their worldly bondage and evil to attain Moksha or liberation.
- Sword: Sword marks the sharpness of intellect enjoining humans to use the sense of discrimination to overcome their negativity.
- Bow and arrow: The bow and arrow are the symbols of energy while the bow represents potential energy, the arrow represents the kinetic energy.
- Trishul: The trishul or the trident has three sharp edges meaning that humans are composed of three gunas or qualities namely Tamas (inactivity and lethargic tendency), Rajas (hyperactivity and desires) and Sattva (positivity and purity). As the trident pierces anything to death, the compassion of Mother Durga shall confer the wisdom necessary to conquer the three qualities and emerge victorious.
- Mace: Enjoins humans to exhibit loyalty, love and devotion to Mother Durga.
- Thunderbolt: represents firmness and solidarity of purpose with which humans should pursue the ultimate goal of their lives.
- Snake: Indicates the upward movement from the lower state of consciousness to the higher state of existence experiencing pure bliss.
- Flame: signifies wisdom and knowledge that is required to get the worldly benefits as well as the spiritual attainments.