MANOJ KUMAR JENA, OP
Bhubaneswar: The ongoing strike by app-based cab drivers and bike riders turned violent at Lower PMG here on the third day Wednesday when the protesters reportedly threw stones at police personnel and vandalised more than 15 government-run Ama Buses and other private vehicles, prompting police to use force. More than 100 agitators were arrested and 40 vehicles seized, police said, adding that the fi gures could rise further. Drivers and riders registered with various online ride-hailing platforms began a cease-work protest August 17, pressing for the fulfilment of their seven-point charter of demands, including fare hike, reduction in application fees, social security and other benefits. In view of the protest, 10-12 platoons of police personnel comprising striking force and emergency teams were deployed at the site.


Around 3,000 vehicles took out a rally from Raj Mahal Square and parked their vehicles along Mahatma Gandhi Marg, blocking the road and disrupting traffic movement in the Master Canteen and Bhubaneswar Railway Station areas. When police personnel tried to persuade the protesters to clear the road, the agitators allegedly turned violent and hurled stones at the personnel deployed at the spot, a police officer said. To bring the situation under control, the police personnel used force to disperse the violent agitators. However, the protesters vandalised several Ama Buses and a police vehicle during the protest. “During the scuffle, around 10-15 police personnel have sustained injuries and are undergoing treatment at Capital Hospital,” said Bhubaneswar DCP Jagmohan Meena.
The police officer also informed that police had permitted the protesters to stage a demonstration at Mahatma Gandhi Marg for one day August 17, but they continued the agitation for another two days. “They blocked the major city road and junction, causing inconvenience to the public,” Meena said. The DCP confirmed that around 100 protesters have been arrested so far and they will be forwarded to the court. We have started to move the parked vehicles, he said. The situation has returned to nor mal and vehicular movement has resumed, Meena added. “We were protesting peacefully when the police used force on us. We want our demands to be fulfilled,” said a protester who was detained by the police.
Also Read : App-based drivers protest for fare hike
Till the filing of this report, 40 vehicles had been seized by police from the protest site. With a large number of app-based cabs, bikes and auto-rickshaws remaining off the roads, passengers and daily commuters dependent on these services were badly affected. The public also vented anger on the online auto drivers as they recounted how they behave with the passengers and demand extra money. “Auto drivers behave very rudely, demanding amounts far beyond the fare shown by the application. Sometimes we have to give a second thought before choosing an online autorickshaw,” said a commuter who wished not to be named. “The online auto drivers were previously involved in several violent incidents.
In 2025, they created ruckus at Capital Hospital after a minor died allegedly due to wrong treatment. We often receive complaints by commuters as they get misbehaved by the online auto drivers,” added DCP Meena. He also added that their demands and demonstration are illogical as it has nothing to do with the general public or the government. Their issue is with private companies; however, they have adopted illegal means, which has resulted in this situation.
According to an official statement released by the Capital Region Urban Transport (CRUT), more than 15 Ama Buses were vandalised during the ongoing strike, causing damage estimated at over Rs 10 lakh, it said. “We had already discussed with the protesters regarding their demands. We had instructed the private companies for discussion regarding a uniform rate chart, so that no one could charge more. I don’t know what provoked them to protest violently,” said Transport Minister Bibhuti Bhusan Jena. The State Transport Authority (STA) has initiated action against more than 400 autorickshaws allegedly used to block roads during an illegal gathering at Master Canteen Square. The STA said permit cancellation process has been initiated under Section 86(1) (b) of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, for violation of permit conditions.



































