New Delhi: Photographs of Indian Army troops holding a large Tricolour at Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh has gone viral on various social media platforms. The troops were holding the Tricolour as part of the New Year celebrations. The pictures were released Tuesday by sources in the security establishment. The photographs were also posted on Twitter by Union Law and Justice Minister Kiren Rijiju. He captioned the picture ‘brave Indian Army soldiers in Galwan Valley on the occasion of #NewYear2022’.
The images were released three days after China’s state media played up a purported video of PLA soldiers sending New Year greetings to Chinese people from a location near the Galwan valley region.
In one of the photos, released by the sources in the Indian security establishment, around 30 Indian soldiers were seen with the national flag. Another photo showed four personnel of the Indian Army holding the national flag and another Tricolour flying high on a flagpole adjacent to a temporary observation post. The sources said the photographs were of January 1 in the Galwan Valley.
The Indian Army and Chinese troops exchanged sweets and greetings at 10 border points along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) including in eastern Ladakh and North Sikkim January 1. It was seen as a warm gesture in the midst of the lingering row in eastern Ladakh.
The sources in the Indian security establishment said the site of the Chinese soldiers celebrating the New Year is in a depth area on the Chinese side near the Galwan Valley region. It is not at all close to the buffer zone created in the region following the deadly clashes June 15, 2020.
The eastern Ladakh border standoff between the Indian and Chinese militaries erupted May 5, 2020, following a violent clash in the Pangong lake areas. Both sides gradually enhanced their deployment by rushing in tens of thousands of soldiers as well as heavy weaponry.
Also read: China officially admits 5 PLA soldiers, military officers were killed in Galwan Valley clash with India
As a result of a series of military and diplomatic talks, the two sides completed the disengagement process last year in the north and south banks of the Pangong lake and in the Gogra area.
Each side currently has around 50,000 to 60,000 troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the sensitive sector.
The 13th round of Corps Commander-level military talks in October ended in a stalemate. The Indian Army said that the ‘constructive suggestions’ made by them were not agreeable to the Chinese side.
In their virtual diplomatic talks November 18, India and China agreed to hold the 14th round of military talks at an early date. This will be done to achieve the objective of complete disengagement in remaining friction points in eastern Ladakh. It is learnt that the Chinese side is yet to respond to the next round of military talks.
India has been insisting on returning to the status quo that existed before the face-off took place in early May 2020.
Leave a Reply