Angul: Tension ran high at CPP plant site under NALCO police limits here Monday following the death of a labourer due to asphyxiation after inhaling poisonous gas.
The deceased was identified as Srikant Sahoo of Jajpur district.
Srikant, who was engaged at the NALCO CPP reportedly inhaled coal gas and fell sick. He was rushed to NALCO hospital where doctors declared him brought dead.
Demanding compensation, irate locals and family members of the deceased staged a protest before the hospital.
Later, Thika Majdoor Sangh, an association of contract labourers working in the plant, also joined the protest demanding safety and security of labourers on duty.
Members of the Sangh alleged that the plant authorities are turning blind eye to the legitimate demands regarding safety of the workers.