PC Mahanty
During the Mughal period and the preceding Mongol period the Hindu deities and temples were not secure. It is described in Madala Panji that between 16th and 18th century, in order to save Lord Jagannath the idols were transferred many times from place to place. The Lords were transferred at least ten times during the period. Raktabahu attacked Srimandir for the first time and the deities were taken to Sonepur and hidden buried at a spot with the sign “Dian Bar”.
Again in 1568 after the occupation of Orissa by the Afghans and Kala Pahad’s attack on Hindu temples was a bloody chapter in the history of the survival of the faith. During the reign of Pratap Rudra (1509), the first attack was made by the Muslims. In 1607, because of the attack on the temple, the deities were taken and hidden in Kapileswar in Puri. In 1660, Kesu Das, the Mughal Subedar attacked Puri and set fire on the chariots. Again in 1615, Kalyan Mal, son of Todar Mal, attacked Puri and so the Lords were hidden at Gurubadai in Chilika.
In 1617, Makram Khan attacked Srimandir and so the deities were again kept hidden at Gurubadai. During the attack of Subedar Ahman Baig in 1617, the deities were hidden at Manitri fort. In 1622, subsequent to the attacks of Subedar Ahman Baig the deities were kept at Manitri and again shifted to Sakhigopal in 1624. In 1647 when Khurda was ruled by Gajapati Purushottam Dev II, Subedar Mudabak Khan attacked Srimandir. In 1698, on the direction of Aurangzeb, Akram Khan attacked Srimandir and soon after Akram Khan created havoc by destroying Hindu places of worship.
The last attack on Srimandir was made in 1733 and so the deities were shifted again and hidden at many different places like Chilika, Banpur, Nayagada and Athagada as well as Marda in the district of Ganjam. The last attack was conducted by Taki Khan. As revealed in Madala Panji the deities were not transferred anywhere else thereafter and worshipped peacefully in Jagannath Temple.
Marda temple in Athagada in the district Ganjam is situated about 7 km off Polasara in the south-east of Kodala under the kingdom of Athagada Patna – the kingdom of eight forts situated at about 60 km from Berhampur town. During the reign of Rama Chandra Dev II, Naib Nazim Mahammad Taki Khan attacked Khurda and accepting a defeat Ramachandra Dev was shifted to Athagada along with his family. Due to the recurring attacks by Muslims invaders he ordered the servitors to hide the supreme idols. Accordingly, the idols were first kept at Harisvar Dev Temple of Nairi village and subsequently shifted to Niladri fort of Banpur and then at Athagada fort. By this time, Jagannath Harichandan Jagadev was the King of Athagada. For the safety and security of the deities he built a temple almost in war footing at Marada forest. The construction of the temple was over within two months and the deities were took shelter in it. History says that the Lords entered the temple December 29, 1733. Due to security reasons the temple was constructed on the slopes of Hatibadi valley deep inside the forest. The architects of nearby Mathura village had worked day and night for 46 days.
The temple is built of sandstone and the main premise comprises a Vimana and Jagamohan built on a wide platform measuring 57 inches by 45 inches. The images of Vaman, Nrusingha and Baraha adorn the outer surface of the temple. The images of Garuda, Amlak, the Khapuri and Neelachakra are placed on top of the temple. A Ratna Singhasan (throne) is there inside the temple where the deities sat. Near the well a small idol of Lord Hanuman and near the southern gate a Shiva image were worshipped. Outside the temple a moat was dug to save the place from attacks. As per Srimandir practices, the images of Lokanath and Bimala were also worshipped at Marda temple which has three gates. The East gate is the widest guarded by two lions on two sides. The dimension of the Jagamohan is 6.10 m x 7.20m. Under the Devi image, lies the Garuda.
The main temple is built in a square plan in the Pidha (Layer) style. It is built on a plain surface and is of 10.8m in length and 13m in width along with a Varandah of 90cm high. The main entrance is beautifully carved and has two doorkeepers at both sides. The innermost compartment of the temple carries a Singhasan, the sitting place of the three deities. There are three round stone pieces (‘chaka pathar’) which used to be the seats of the deities. The deities were worshipped about a period of two years and four months safely at Mardamandir.
During the period, Srimandir of Puri lost its importance due to the absence of the deities. The rituals and festivals were stopped and pilgrims stopped visiting Srikshetra. This depleted revenues and forced the Mughal administrators to give a second thought to ensure the safety of Srimandir. Kuli Khan was subsequently ordered to get back Lord Jagannath to Puri temple. Accordingly, the deities were taken back from Mardamandir on the 13th year of Ramachandra Dev rule in 1730. That day onwards Marda Jagannath mandir which was constructed to give shelter and security to the deities lost its relevance and glory.
The writer is a retired academician




































